Saturday, November 17, 2012

Stuffed Monster

For Christmas, I decided I wanted to make Elijah a stuffed monster. So I drew it out, cut it, sewed it, stuffed it, finished sewing it, and took pictures along the way to share with you!

First, I drew out the shape I wanted and cut it out. I have 3 pieces of felt because the green was a bit thin, so I wanted to have another layer of felt under it. If your pieces of fabric aren't thin, you won't need the third piece. I cut out eyes and a mouth for my monster.







I then sewed on the eyes and mouth to the front piece of my monster.
I added an E for Elijah on the back.



















Then I sewed him up, all but a spot to stuff him. I sewed him right side out because I wanted the edges to show. I hand-sewed the whole thing. It would be much faster to use a sewing machine, but I like to hand-sew. I find it relaxing. If you like to use your sewing machine, go for it! You will save a lot of time!

I stuffed him with plastic bags. Kind of a fun way to recycle, I think. I cut the bags into smaller pieces so I could maneuver the bags into the spots I wanted. I think I ended up using 6 bags. Using the plastic bags makes him firm, so if you want a squishier stuffed monster, you'll want to use batting or some other soft material for stuffing.









Then I sewed him up the rest of the way. All done!








Here you can see how thick he is.















Such a cute little guy!




Do you have someone in your life who would like a stuffed monster? Get sewing!   -Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment