Monday, January 21, 2013

"Sheet Blanket" Using Back of Blanket as Binding

YEARS ago, before we were married, my husband gave me two pieces of cloth to make a blanket with. He knows how much I love the feel of cool sheets and the warmth and fuzziness of fleece. So he bought me a piece of fleece and a piece of a cottony fabric (I'm not exactly sure what it is made of), thinking I could make a "sheet blanket." Sweet of him, right? Well, those two pieces of fabric got put away and I never did anything with them. Until now. I FINALLY, after probably 5 years, sewed my blanket.






I started out by lining up the two pieces, the smaller one on top in the middle, and cutting the edges of the bigger piece (fleece) down to like 3-4 inches around the smaller blanket. I used the fleece as the blanket's binding by bringing it around to the front.











I then sewed little x's in the blanket to hold the two pieced of fabric together in the middle.












I've never done anything with corners before, so I just kind of winged it. I'm sure there are more precise and probably easier ways of doing what I did, but oh well. I got it done, so that's what matters.









I cut off the corners and folded in the sides until they looked like metered corners. I probably did it WAY wrong, but they turned out okay.










I sewed the two sides together in the middle. This picture is of the first one I did. The others looked a bit better.







For the binding using the fleece, I folded the fleece over twice (so it would have a nice edge) and loosely sewed it down. I did this instead of just pinning it. I used long hand stitches, just to hold the pieces in place. I have never been very good at sewing in a straight line and things usually end up moving, even with pins, so I figured this might help me a bit without the pins getting in the way. It was very time consuming and I think I might just rather deal with the pins next time.







 I then sewed all the way around my blanket using a wide zigzag stitch.















This is the front side of a corner.













The back side of one of the corners.













And so you can see them together, I folded the blanket in half.







So if you want the feel of a sheet with the warmth of a fleece blankie, make a "Sheet Blanket." And to make it simpler, use the back fabric as the binding!  -Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment