Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Birthday Tie Shirt

For E's first birthday, I wanted to decorate a shirt for him. I decided on making a tie and tried to stick to his Winter ONEderland party theme. I used a Gerber long sleeve onesie, some scrap fabric (I used old t-shirts), and coordinating thread.







First I made my tie template. I drew it by hand and just kind of guessed out the length. Then I cut out the two tie pieces.





















Then I cut out a one in a different fabric and sewed it on.
Then I hand-sewed some snowflakes on the tie.















Then I sewed the tie to the shirt. I sewed the top piece on first, as close to the neckline as I could get, leaving the bottom unconnected from the shirt. Then I stuck the bottom piece slightly under the top piece and sewed them both down (piercing both pieces of fabric and the shirt all at the same time). Putting the top piece over the bottom piece, rather than just using one piece, gives it a bit more realistic look. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of this step.













Then I sewed around the rest of the tie. That's a it! A cute little tie shirt for a Winter ONEderland first birthday!





Almost every that saw E at his party thought I had bought the shirt! They also told me I should make and sell them. So - if you know of a kiddo who is about to have a birthday and could use a tie shirt (or some other type of shirt for a girl), let me know and we could work something out for the theme and age!

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment